Who We Are
TCGplayer was founded by Chedy Hampson & Ray Moore as a digital media platform within the collectible hobby space. We have grown from our initial roots working inside Syracuse-based hobby stores selling comic books, sports cards, CD’s, collectible cards, action figures, and tabletop games into an expansive eCommerce marketplace that connects a global community of millions of buyers with tens of thousands of retailers.
We have been ranked amongst New York State’s 50 best employers and Fortune.com’s top 100 companies for women in the U.S. Our entire team prides itself on creating a culture that fosters camaraderie, embraces diversity, and exudes passion. We provide stock options to 100% of our 250 team members and project our team to grow to over 400 by the end of 2021.
With our initial goal of building the most dynamic and compelling marketplace for collectible card games in the U.S accomplished, we are now set to bring our innovative technologies and customer focused approach to the entire $25B global collectible hobby market.
The Engineering Team at TCGplayer creates and maintains a suite of products in support of our role as the leading online marketplace for trading card games and collectibles. We build applications and technologies that connect thousands of businesses with customers across the collectible gaming industry, powering sales through physical stores, websites, mobile apps and the TCGplayer Marketplace.
Who You Are
As our Senior Data Engineer, you will bring proven experience and expertise in performance in revamping and redefining the entire enterprise schema as we work toward breaking apart a monolithic application and associated database. You’ll help us redesign the way the data is organized in the schema, you’ll denormalize to the right level based on proper design strategy, and you’ll mentor the developers in the right way to insert, update and query the repository.
This is an e-commerce production database; you’re the kind of person that can help us make that DB scream with speed for all of the complex dataflows we have, and teach the rest of the engineering team how they should use that database for optimal transaction processing.
The Impact You Will Make Here
● You’ll redesign the RDBMS platform for all of our e-commerce transactions, guiding developers in best ways to query, insert, update and delete with efficiency and at scale
● You’ll dig into denormalizing our DB and get it properly balanced between physical footprint and being built for speed
● You’ll work with operations DBAs to redesign for fault tolerance, replication, and (the biggie) AWS regionalization as we go international with our platform.
● You’ll help us get the business logic out of the database (we have too many stored procedures) and get it back into the codebase where it belongs
● You’ll figure out what should be in the database and what shouldn’t (we have Redis, Elasticsearch, and Mongo repositories ready to take what shouldn’t be in the RDBMS; but we need your guidance in pulling those data elements out of your DB)
● You’ll employ every trick in the book to get our database fault tolerant, performant, and scalable to go from hundreds of millions of inventory items to over 50 billion.
What You Bring To The Team
● You are a senior, deeply experienced RDBMS professional with 11+ years of practical experience or equivalent (BS, MS)
● You’re an expert with SQL, and RDBMS Technologies such as MS SQL Server, Oracle, or Postgres
● We’re in AWS, so expertise in working with cloud-hosted databases and associated storage options is essential. Replication across regions and availability zones is a big deal as we explode with growth here.
● You can discriminate between data that belongs in an RDBMS, and data that is better suited to a NoSQL DB, or an Elasticsearch implementation, or a Redis (cached key-value-pair-type DB).
● Capable of reading/walking through code in a higher level language. Most of our code is in C#, some in Go and some in Clojure. You’re not going to be a developer, but being able to walk them through some embedded SQL in their language of choice will be important.
What We Provide
Our benefits program is one of the most flexible and progressive in the country. Plus, benefits start on day one, so you have everything you need to make a stress-free transition to life at TCGplayer.
● Comprehensive medical insurance with a variety of plan options to suit your needs.
● Dental and vision insurance.
● Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO).
● 100% company paid Family Leave.
● 401k plan with 4% match.
● TCGplayer stock options for all employees.
● 100% company paid life insurance.
● Paid trips to work with remote teammates.
TCGplayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Who We Are